Pages

Thursday

God and Art Series: God shows artist wonder of nature in childhood

The discovery that one is an artist can appear at any stage in life, but when the gift becomes apparent during childhood an entire world of wonder can be opened. Such was the case for Doris Lloyd, an artist who lives in Hatboro, Pennsylvania. Doris owns two stores on Etsy which display her playful artwork, Dream Art and Hidden Faces.

Along with drawings, illustrations and paintings, she sells bags, jewelry, wedding invitations and painted boxes.

Dream Art
"As far as art goes, I don't remember ever not drawing," Doris says. "As a very little girl I remember enjoying doodling on every piece of paper I could find. I say 'find' because when I was small my parents didn't buy me drawing paper. I kind of had to recycle the stuff around the house. Also, I used to go for a little hunt around the house, yard, and neighborhood for interesting stuff to make things with. Things like feathers, butterflies, chipmunk banks and other critters.
HiddenFaces
"My drawings as a child were often of my imaginary play world, the stuff we would make up in our games. These memories have influenced a lot of the ideas I have today many, many years later," she says.

Doris' artwork continued into high school where she took an interest in drawing with a dip pen. "Half of my day was spent on art back then," she says. "Through many trips to the public library, I discovered just how beautiful some of the children's' book illustrations were."

Dream Art
With encouragement from her commercial art teacher, Doris decided to go to the Hussian School of Art in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and study illustration. She spent four years at this school. "These were some of the most enjoyable years for me," Doris says. "I loved spending all my time on art and being around other creative people."

HiddenFaces
If you look closely at Doris' work you may find eyes staring right back at you! Her work is a delightful mix of her love for nature, fantasy art, fairy tales and the unusual, she says. "I try to create work that is unique and thought promoting - that is more than a pretty piece. I try to create work with a twist or a message - stuff that is different and memorable," Doris says.

Dream Art
Doris was brought up in the church and she enjoyed attending services and Sunday school. "I committed my life to Christ at a very young age, around kindergarten" Doris says. "At 14 I dedicated my life to Christ and was baptized in the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church. I feel that art is a wonderful way to give glory to the creator. Those who create have a greater appreciation for the wonders of Gods creation.

"At this point in my life I am home enjoying the things I love: working on my art,working on my Etsy shops and all that fun stuff. I am searching for more opportunities to use and make money with my paintings," Doris says.

Along with her Etsy shops, you can also find Doris' work at Doris Dream Art. Follow her on Facebook at HiddenFacesArt as well.


HiddenFaces