Pages

Thursday

God and Art - Artist wants work to touch others



Artist Jocelyn Friss, owner of NewcreatioNZ on Etsy, is inspired by God and by her vivid surroundings in New Zealand, where she has lived for the last 16 years.

A South African by birth, Jocelyn expresses herself through painting and photography. She is highly creative in her photography presentation. Those who visit her shop are treated not only prints, but they can also purchase magnets, stickers, jewelry, cards, paintings and bookmarks.

Here is some of her work:





"In my Etsy shop I am always dreaming up new ways to use my art. One thing I haven't tried yet is printing on fabric so that may be my next experiment!" Jocelyn says. "I am also in the process of setting up a website where my art (and hopefully others' too) will be sold and all profits will go to a good cause. Attached to that will be community projects where the underprivileged will get the opportunity to experience the joys of creating."

Jocelyn also works part time at a school for special needs kids.

Jocelyn has always dabbled in art "and other crafty things", but it was not until her husband and three children moved to New Zealand that she began to take her art and photography more seriously, she says. "Moving to New Zealand and being surrounded by encouraging and positive people was a big factor in extending my creative efforts. Also, marrying my husband! He encourages me to keep doing what I love, even though I don't make much profit!" Jocelyn says.

Here are more of her items:




The artist gives credit to God for her inspiration as well. "Almost 20 years ago, I made the life-changing decision to live my life for God's purposes and to follow him," Jocelyn says. "It was the best decision I ever made. He is the one who inspires me to paint and leads me through each piece. My prayer is that people would be touched through my art."

This is expressed in her logo:

Jocelyn says that she mainly works with acrylic when she paints. "I enjoy the flexibility it gives me and the ability to incorporate mixed media," she says. "Painting is a long process for me. First and foremost, I need to be inspired. Once I have received my inspiration, I mull over it for at least a couple of weeks, until I am ready to put paint to canvas. My photography is a slightly different process, in that I am motivated by the natural beauty I am surrounded by. I take mainly nature shots, with other bits and pieces in between. Looking through the lens I am conscious of the detail and beauty of God's creation. I am encouraged to slow down and take time to appreciate my surroundings. It gives me such joy to be able to share my findings with others.

"I am self-trained, have shown my work in several exhibitions and received a highly commended award for one of my paintings. I have an online shop on Etsy, as well as some paintings displayed at ArtistsPortfolio.net and photographs on Flikr's NewCreatioNZ's Photostream. If anyone would like to keep in touch through my blog Jocelyn Friss' Art or on Facebook at NewCreatioNZ, I would love that."

To other artists, Jocelyn says that the most important thing she has learned is to be herself. "Whatever you do, choose a style that suits you, that you get a buzz out of doing," she says. "Your love of your craft will show through in the finished product, whether you are selling your work or not."