Pages

Tuesday

The last words of Jesus

As Easter approaches, my mind turns toward the passion of Christ - his death and all that led up to his ressurrection. And, as I read the Scripture I can almost feel the tension of the moment. Imagine what it would be like to be hanging from your wrists, supported by your feet; stark naked in writhing agony, unable to breathe. On top of that people are hurling insults at you, tempting you to exercise the power that you alone have - to come down off that cross and call the 10,000 angels at your disposal.

Above the curses and noise, I can almost hear Jesus' cries from the cross. Jesus' cries, like everything else he said during his time on earth, were words full of purpose. None of them were wasted. He said things like:

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”

“Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

“Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”

“Woman, here is your son,” and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.”

“I am thirsty.”

“It is finished.”

I want to explore each of these sayings over the next few days as Holy Week approaches starting with the first, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Be back soon.