Pages

Wednesday

No compunction

It's hard to believe that Lent is almost over. This year is just flying by.

So far, Mike and I have not had sweets, chocolate, soda pop and chips. We gone 29 days without junk food. We both feel pretty good too. I have not missed the pop. I have missed chocolate and find it difficult when I see Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs, my favorite Easter candy of all time.

Not eating sweets does not mean that we have not squirreled away in the freezer some Girl Scout cookies and the homemade cookies my mom sent for after Lent . The other day I found that my box of Girl Scout mint cookies had been opened. When I asked who did it, Andrew, who was home from college, gave up his younger brother, Jon, with no compunction. In fact, he snickered at the way Jon reached in the freezer, grabbed the box and unwrapped half of the cookies, saying "Mom and Mike are not having sweets, so I can have these."

Chagrined, I hid our stash somewhere else.

I just thought I'd share a bit about how we were doing in our Lent exercise. I encourage anyone to try it next time. Either give something up or add something to focus on spiritual growth, prayer and other people. I have no regrets.