Pages

Friday

God and Art Series: Artists give thanks

Forget Halloween. I'm ready to celebrate Thanksgiving. Last week I was ill and after that old creeping crud left my body - it took three days! - I had a burst of energy and felt really good. Then my husband, Mike, came down with it. What a week it has been, but I am really grateful to be healthy and to have a family who cares for me. For this reason, I want to devote this week's God and Art installment to the work of artists who help us remember to be grateful.

"There's an old saying," according to an article by Ocean Robbins of the Huffington Post, "that if you've forgotten the language of gratitude, you'll never be on speaking terms with happiness." It's true. Studies show that people who wrote down what they were grateful each day had a more positive attitude, had better relationships with their spouses and were less likely to become depressed.

I guess the apostle Paul knew what he was talking about when he wrote:  Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him (Colossians 3: 15 - 17).


I'm not a morning person, but I have found that as I'm desperately trying to leave my normal zombie-like state to a much more refreshed and awakened frame of mind that talking to God helps. This sign by saltboxsigns would be great to hang in the bathroom to remind me of that very thing:
saltboxsigns


Aren't these ornies by RyensMarketplace cute? They have a Thanksgiving theme. Wouldn't they serve as great reminders for your guests? 

RyensMarketplace


It's always nice to receive a card in the mail. These two cards are beautiful and would warm the heart of any one who had done something special for you.

papermajik


LoveofCreating


Or, you could wrap up a nice gift or a box of homemade goodies and use this ribbon as your card.

TheEiffelTeaRoom

This banner would make a nice decoration for your Thanksgiving get together, don't you think? It's cute enough to display all year long. 

inspirationalbanners


Yes, I know Halloween is coming with all of the ghouls and such, but I prefer celebrating Thanksgiving. I especially like the fact that though the holiday of Thanksgiving comes but once a year, this attitude can live in our hearts throughout the year. It's as simple as saying "thank you."