Pages

Thursday

God and Art Series - Artist, vintage seller prays for guidance


When there is a little one in the picture, it's all the reason a mother needs to stay at home. However, in the present financial climate, it is difficult to do that without having an income. Fortunately, the Internet has helped in that regard and Etsy is a place where young mothers and others can sell their wares in an affordable and fun way.
Wonda, from Florence, Colorado, is one of those young mothers who has found that Etsy is a good venue that helps her stay at home. Her shop AntHunnys sells a variety of goods: photography, vintage items, including jewelry, handmade products and recipes. "My ... shop name 'AntHunnys' comes from my niece and nephew. They couldn't say my name as babies and that's what they came up with and it has stuck all these years," Wonda says. "Since I have a toddler at home now, I started trying to find something I could do at home. I consider myself 'still looking for my niche' in the art world. I love photography, sewing, cooking and T.V. I would say that my 'niche' is in vintage and photography."

Here are some of Wonda's photographs:




"Photography is really in the eye of the beholder," Wonda says. "One thing I've learned is that every photographer has a different 'eye' for things. I love doing portraits, scenery and animals! You can see so much of God's awesome creativity in photography! I really don't have a set theme for my photography."

Wonda has had photographs published in the International Library of Photography and one in the Circle of Photographers.

AntHunnys also features vintage items. "When choosing vintage items, I try to find the oldest, most colorful, and unique pieces that I can," Wonda says. "I think for me selling vintage items is kind of like picking, just like the show, except on a smaller scale. There is so much great pieces of history out there and to be part of that is awesome!"


Here are some of her pieces:







A fairly new addition to Wonda's store are recipes. She offers recipes for old favorites such as stew, macaroni and cheese and tuna salad. She also offers recipes for a mirepoix base, Russian Tea, different dressings and even one for hummingbird nectar. AntHunnys also offers fun recipes that children will enjoy, such as play dough, polymer clay, flubber and slime. "My recipes come from my family and friends where I've picked those up. The way I was taught to cook, was by my Grandma and my Mom. I was taught to use 'a little of this and a little of that,' and that's pretty much how I cook. Some recipes I do measure things out, but for the most part, I just do it how I was taught," she says.

To gain direction for her shop, Wonda prays and trusts God for the results. "I talk to God all the time through prayer or music and just praise him in all things," Wonda says. "I have so many things to be thankful for! I have prayed a lot about my shop and the direction that I need to be going in my shop, and right now, I feel like I'm where I am supposed to be.

"I would love to sell more of my photography but I will go in the direction that God tells me with my shop! We as believers have to remember that sometimes the answer is not always 'yes.' I would tell other artists to never give up and to put their trust in the Lord and keep praying no matter what. God always answers. I have had to realize that I can do a little bit of this and little bit of that, but that I have more talents than just one and even though they are not the best, I must keep trying and never give up," she says.

Wonda is also one of the team leaders for the Picker Chics BNR Team and belongs to several other Etsy teams.