Pages

Monday

What am I thankful for?

This week our newspaper is asking for readers’ stories about what makes them thankful. So, I thought with Thanksgiving coming I’d start the ball rolling, so to speak, and write about what I am thankful for in David Letterman style, no less.

So here it is. The top 10 things for which I am thankful ... drum roll please ...

10. My dog: I know, it’s weird, but that furry little dog brings me a lot of joy, even if he does tear up the furniture when hunting for mice.
9. A warm house: Winter is coming. I thank God for the blessing of living in a sturdy, warm house.

8. My job: Many in this nation do not have jobs right now. I am grateful to have one that I enjoy. Remember those who may need our help this holiday season.

7. Road trips: Mike and I had a great mini-vacation last weekend. We drove around appreciating Colorado’s beautiful scenery. This truly is God’s country!

6. America: This country may have its problems, but it is the best nation on earth in which to live. We have an astounding history and our Constitution is like no other country’s founding document. Thank God for the wisdom our Founding Fathers had when they thought through the concept of our nation.

5. My church, pastor and his family: I cannot think of all the times that my church has been there for me when I am in trouble. On Sunday it felt good to worship freely and without fear.

4. My coworkers: Everyone in this office is friendly and works hard. We do a lot during the week and I think at the end of the day we can rest knowing that the day’s work was a job well done.

3. Family: I love my boys. We’ve been through some rough times, but things are working out well. I am also thankful for Mike’s side of the family and my parents. God has indeed blessed me.

2. Husband: My husband is very good to me. We have a strong friendship and a deep affection for one another. That’s something that doesn’t happen every day.

And the number one thing for which I am thankful (drum roll):

1. Abundant life: Life as a Christian may not always be easy, but it is worth every minute. Thank you, Jesus, for saving me.

Stop sometime this week and think about 10 reasons to be grateful. The reasons are there, sometimes you just have to stop and think. I knew an old preacher once that used to say “Count your blessings. Weigh them ton by ton.”

That’s true, you know.