Pages

Monday

"If I had a tiara ..."

A few weeks ago, my husband and I took a short trip to Trinidad and stayed overnight in a bed and breakfast. While in the otherwise very nicely restored Victorian, I felt strange. It just felt like there was something in that room that didn't want me there. I promise that I am mentally sound; I really felt this.

In the church we are taught that there is a "great cloud of witnesses" watching us. These are the saints who have gone on before us. We are also taught that there is another dimension to this, an evil one that also watches. This seemed to be what I was feeling.

"Go away," I said while sitting in the room alone. "I am a child of God."

And guess what? I didn't feel that strange feeling any more and our time there was very enjoyable.

The next day I was wandering around a gift store and found a notebook that said "I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." I chuckled at this because I remembered all the times in college when I thought that my contributions to society would actually save the world. And then I thought of the wealth given to the kings and queens in this world and how they might be able to solve some problems. The statement seemed to hit me on many levels so I bought the book.

After a while I started thinking about the incident in the hotel room and the saying on the notebook. It's true, you know. Anyone who believes in Jesus Christ is royalty. We are co-heirs with Christ to the riches of God. "Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory," Romans 8: 17 (NIV).

I may not have a tiara or a cape but I am connected to the greatest king that ever was and ever will be. Perhaps in some small way I can "save" the world. Maybe,in some way God will use me to change the corner of the world in which I live. All I need to do is use my talents in the best way possible and trust him for the results. I may not know what effect my actions may have, but that's okay.