Pages

Monday

Reflections on Mother's Day

Another Mother's Day here and gone. This is my 18th year as a mother so I thought that I would talk about the blessings of the day and my kids.



Meet (from left to right) Stephen, Andrew and Jonathan. Aren't they handsome?

I am a blessed mother. My kids are normal teenagers, a bit aggravating at times, but they are not in trouble with the law nor are they doing anything that makes me sad. They do their best in school and they have dreams and aspirations. I'm grateful that they are healthy and that they are active in life. Andrew, Jonathan and Stephen are the lights of my life and now I have four grandchildren to add to that glow. Michael, Tayler, Elena and Ethan are a lot of fun and I am very proud of them.



Another handsome bunch ... in the back we have Michael and Tayler; in front, Ethan and Elena.

Yesterday we all got together and ate a wonderful lunch here at the house. Dee (my stepdaughter who is an awesome mom) made a really easy potato dish and I assembled another easy dish of mixed veggies with cream cheese, butter and spices. Mike marinated a brisket and slow cooked it in the roaster all morning long. Wow. It was good. We had ice cream sundaes for dessert - no extra cooking there. The kids gave me some crafting supplies and Jon recorded three songs that he played on his bass guitar. Mike gave me the new book about Dietrich Bonhoeffer - now I just need time to read it!

We like celebrating Mother's Day in a simple manner. No restaurants, no traveling (right now anyway, eventually - in a decade or so - there will be more grandchildren and great-grandchildren to visit), just a simple get together. This year on Saturday there were so many school sporting events that Mike didn't take the kids shopping like usual. Andrew, who just got his driver's license this year, took care of that.

Last night Mike and I took a walk out in the country. It was hot yesterday and the wind was blowing, but the sky was a brilliant blue and the way the wind blew through the newly planted crops made them look like flowing water. When we reached Timpas creek there were two ducks swimming upstream. They were kind of glancing at each other and quacking quietly as if in deep conversation over whatever ducks talk about when they are together. Watching a movie with Mike and the kids at the end of the day just topped it off perfectly.

I don't know why God has blessed me so much, but I am grateful. We've had some hard years. The boys and I lived through the death of their father and now God has blessed us with more family. Mike is a wonderful husband who works hard to make sure that I am well taken care of. And, of course, my parents are still living and as active as they can be in our family all the way from Arizona. It's just a good life and I thank you, Lord.
I hope you all had a nice Mother's Day and even if it wasn't everything you wanted it to be, remember that God is with you and understands your heartache.

Meanwhile, thanks boys for making me a proud mother. I love you with all my heart. I now look forward to a new chapter in motherhood - graduation and the first departure from the nest. I'm sure there will be more on that later!