Pages

Monday

Make me a blessing

As I sit down to write my commentary this week, I have no idea what to write. Sometimes that happens, especially when I have a lot on my mind or when I have put all of my energy into a particular commentary like last weeks.

Sometimes there are periods of non creative flow. I've experienced that this summer. In fact, last Monday was the first time I arrived at the office with an idea for a story rather than having to sift through my email or talk to someone.

Like anything, a clear mind comes and goes. There are some days when there is not a care in the world and the creative process and everything else just seems to flow. On other days there is not enough money (or coffee) in the world to get the juices going.

Our spiritual life can be like that too. One day every thing's great. We seem to have a direct line to heaven when we pray, our heart sings and all is well. Other days prayer does not come easily and we feel listless. The only prayer we can get out is "What have I done wrong?" or "Where are you God?" and the response is stony silence.

Throughout my Christian experience, I've learned that when I have those listless days, I may not have necessarily done anything wrong, nor am I harboring sin. It may be that I don't feel well or that I am experiencing some type of subconscious dilemma. During those times I try to be honest with myself and with God about how I feel and ask God to help me stay encouraged as we work through the problem.

I pray that I have the wisdom to recognize this form of discouragement in others. There have been many times when I have been blessed by someone who just listened or said something kind. I pray, like the old song that God will help me to bless others.

Here are the words to the song. I hope that it is your prayer too.

Make Me a Blessing
Ira B. Wilson, 1909

Out in the highways and byways of life,

many are weary and sad;

Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife,

making the sorrowing glad.

Refrain


Make me a blessing, make me a blessing,

Out of my life may Jesus shine;

Make me a blessing,
O Savior, I pray,

Make me a blessing to someone today.

Verse 2

Tell the sweet story of Christ and his love;

Tell of his pow'r to forgive:

Others will trust him if only you prove

true ev'ry moment you live.

Verse 3

Give as 'twas given to you in your need;

Love as the Master loved you;

Be to the helpless a helper indeed;

Unto your mission be true.